Soccer Ball Sizes
Identify the right football size for your age group or the type of soccer that you play
The soccer ball used in professional leagues and in the FIFA World Cup is called “size 5”. The following are the specifications of an official size 5 soccer ball:
- Circumference: 27 to 28 inches (69 to 71 cm)
- Weight: 14 to 16 oz (400 to 450 grams)
- Official pressure: between 8.5 to 15.6 PSI
- Diameter: 8.6 to 9 inches (22 to 23 cm)
- Radius: 4.3 to 4.5 inches (11 to 11.5 cm)
However, the size 5 soccer ball is not used at all times. The soccer ball sizes for official match use vary according to the type of soccer being played or the age group of players. Below are the soccer ball circumference for different age groups and game variations.
A. Kids’ & youth soccer ball circumference
- U-6, U-7, & U-8: Size 3 is the official soccer ball for toddlers and young children. It has a circumference of 23-24 inches and a weight of 11-12 ounce. Size 3 is the smallest official ball.
- U-9, U-10, & U-11: Size 4 is the standard soccer ball for kids aged between nine and 11 years old. It has a circumference of 25-26 inches and a weight of 11-13 ounce.
- U-12, U-13 & up: The regulation size soccer ball, size 5, is played by youth players when they reach the age of 12. Size 5 is also the ball used in high school soccer.
B. Ball sizes for other forms of football
- Five-a-side football: Five-a-side football is played with slightly different rules from regular football but it is still played with the standard soccer ball.
- Beach soccer: The ball used in official beach soccer games is a size 5 but is slightly lighter, 14-15½ ounces. It is often brightly colored to make it more visible on a sandy playing ground.
- Futsal: A size 4 soccer ball is used in futsal. However, the ball material for futsal is different than the one in youth soccer: a futsal ball is filled with foam to make is less bouncy since the sport is played on a hard surface. It is also typically covered with felt or suede for more friction.
- Indoor soccer: Like in futsal, the ball size for indoor soccer is number 4 and is covered with felt or suede. However, indoor soccer balls are typically bouncier than in futsal.
C. Special soccer ball sizes
- Size 1 soccer ball: Also called the miniball, this ball is very small with a circumference of only 17 inches. This ball is typically bought by parents for play for their one- to three-year old children. The size 1 soccer ball is not used in tournaments but is used by some clubs or teams to train players in ball control.
- Size 2 soccer ball: This ball is slightly bigger than size one, with a circumference of 20-22 inches. This ball is usually given for play for children four years old and below. Some coaches use the size two ball for ball control drills.